Every living thing has a friend (Human and Animals), and it is essential to search out Bible verses about friendship to understand what God expects from us when in friendship with others. I tried to pull in as many friendship bible verses as mention in the King James Version (KJV) to help unveil different angles the Bible look at the friendship and how those of old engage friends in the daily work with God. Thus, you may need to browse and pick only those that apply to your own current situation for use. Also, kindly share with friends and family in a situation that needs learn about friendship from the Bible.
95+ Bible Verses On Friendship from the Old/New Testament (KJV)
65 Old Testament Bible Verses on Friendship KJV
Below are 65 Friendship Bible Verses in Old Testament from the King James Version (KJV)
1) Genesis (2)
2) Exodus (1)
3) Deuteronomy (1)
4) Judges (2)
5) Ruth (1)
6) 1 Samuel (1)
7) 2 Samuel (6)
8) 1 Kings (2)
9) 2 Chronicles (1)
10) Esther (3)
11) Job (11)
12) Psalm (4)
13) Proverbs (18)
14) Song of Solomon (2)
15) Isaiah (1)
16) Jeremiah (5)
17) Lamentations (1)
18) Hosea (1)
19) Micah (1)
20) Zechariah (1)
33 New Testament Bible Verses About Friendship KJV
Below are 33 Friendship Bible Verses in New Testament from King James Version (KJV)
21) Matthew (4)
22) Mark (2)
23) Luke (14)
24) John (6)
25) Acts (4)
26) James (2)
27) 3 John (1)
1) Proverbs 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.
Bible search results
2) Genesis 38:12And in process of time the daughter of Shuah Judah’s wife died; and Judah was comforted, and went up unto his sheepshearers to Timnath, he and his friend Hirah the Adullamite.
3) Genesis 38:20And Judah sent the kid by the hand of his friend the Adullamite, to receive his pledge from the woman’s hand: but he found her not.
4) Exodus 33:11And the Lord spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend. And he turned again into the camp: but his servant Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, departed not out of the tabernacle.
5) Deuteronomy 13:6If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers;
6) Judges 14:20But Samson’s wife was given to his companion, whom he had used as his friend.
7) Judges 19:3And her husband arose, and went after her, to speak friendly unto her, and to bring her again, having his servant with him, and a couple of asses: and she brought him into her father’s house: and when the father of the damsel saw him, he rejoiced to meet him.
8) Ruth 2:13Then she said, Let me find favour in thy sight, my lord; for that thou hast comforted me, and for that thou hast spoken friendly unto thine handmaid, though I be not like unto one of thine handmaidens.
9) 1 Samuel 30:26And when David came to Ziklag, he sent of the spoil unto the elders of Judah, even to his friends, saying, Behold a present for you of the spoil of the enemies of the Lord;
10) 2 Samuel 3:8Then was Abner very wroth for the words of Ishbosheth, and said, Am I a dog’s head, which against Judah do shew kindness this day unto the house of Saul thy father, to his brethren, and to his friends, and have not delivered thee into the hand of David, that thou chargest me to day with a fault concerning this woman?
11) 2 Samuel 13:3But Amnon had a friend, whose name was Jonadab, the son of Shimeah David’s brother: and Jonadab was a very subtil man.
12) 2 Samuel 15:37So Hushai David’s friend came into the city, and Absalom came into Jerusalem.
13) 2 Samuel 16:16And it came to pass, when Hushai the Archite, David’s friend, was come unto Absalom, that Hushai said unto Absalom, God save the king, God save the king.
14) 2 Samuel 16:17And Absalom said to Hushai, Is this thy kindness to thy friend? why wentest thou not with thy friend?
15) 2 Samuel 19:6In that thou lovest thine enemies, and hatest thy friends. For thou hast declared this day, that thou regardest neither princes nor servants: for this day I perceive, that if Absalom had lived, and all we had died this day, then it had pleased thee well.
16) 1 Kings 4:5And Azariah the son of Nathan was over the officers: and Zabud the son of Nathan was principal officer, and the king’s friend:
17) 1 Kings 16:11And it came to pass, when he began to reign, as soon as he sat on his throne, that he slew all the house of Baasha: he left him not one that pisseth against a wall, neither of his kinsfolks, nor of his friends.
18) 2 Chronicles 20:7Art not thou our God, who didst drive out the inhabitants of this land before thy people Israel, and gavest it to the seed of Abraham thy friend for ever?
19) Esther 5:10Nevertheless Haman refrained himself: and when he came home, he sent and called for his friends, and Zeresh his wife.
20) Esther 5:14Then said Zeresh his wife and all his friends unto him, Let a gallows be made of fifty cubits high, and to morrow speak thou unto the king that Mordecai may be hanged thereon: then go thou in merrily with the king unto the banquet. And the thing pleased Haman; and he caused the gallows to be made.
21) Esther 6:13And Haman told Zeresh his wife and all his friends every thing that had befallen him. Then said his wise men and Zeresh his wife unto him, If Mordecai be of the seed of the Jews, before whom thou hast begun to fall, thou shalt not prevail against him, but shalt surely fall before him.
22) Job 2:11Now when Job’s three friends heard of all this evil that was come upon him, they came every one from his own place; Eliphaz the Temanite, and Bildad the Shuhite, and Zophar the Naamathite: for they had made an appointment together to come to mourn with him and to comfort him.
23) Job 6:14To him that is afflicted pity should be shewed from his friend; but he forsaketh the fear of the Almighty.
24) Job 6:27Yea, ye overwhelm the fatherless, and ye dig a pit for your friend.
25) Job 16:20My friends scorn me: but mine eye poureth out tears unto God.
26) Job 17:5He that speaketh flattery to his friends, even the eyes of his children shall fail.
27) Job 19:14My kinsfolk have failed, and my familiar friends have forgotten me.
28) Job 19:19All my inward friends abhorred me: and they whom I loved are turned against me.
29) Job 19:21Have pity upon me, have pity upon me, O ye my friends; for the hand of God hath touched me.
30) Job 32:3Also against his three friends was his wrath kindled, because they had found no answer, and yet had condemned Job.
31) Job 42:7And it was so, that after the Lord had spoken these words unto Job, the Lord said to Eliphaz the Temanite, My wrath is kindled against thee, and against thy two friends: for ye have not spoken of me the thing that is right, as my servant Job hath.
32) Job 42:10And the Lord turned the captivity of Job, when he prayed for his friends: also the Lord gave Job twice as much as he had before.
33) Psalm 35:14I behaved myself as though he had been my friend or brother: I bowed down heavily, as one that mourneth for his mother.
34) Psalm 38:11My lovers and my friends stand aloof from my sore; and my kinsmen stand afar off.
35) Psalm 41:9Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me.
36) Psalm 88:18Lover and friend hast thou put far from me, and mine acquaintance into darkness.
37) Proverbs 6:1My son, if thou be surety for thy friend, if thou hast stricken thy hand with a stranger,
38) Proverbs 6:3Do this now, my son, and deliver thyself, when thou art come into the hand of thy friend; go, humble thyself, and make sure thy friend.
39) Proverbs 14:20The poor is hated even of his own neighbour: but the rich hath many friends.
40) Proverbs 16:28A froward man soweth strife: and a whisperer separateth chief friends.
41) Proverbs 17:9He that covereth a transgression seeketh love; but he that repeateth a matter separateth very friends.
42) Proverbs 17:17A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.
43) Proverbs 17:18A man void of understanding striketh hands, and becometh surety in the presence of his friend.
44) Proverbs 18:24A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.
45) Proverbs 19:4Wealth maketh many friends; but the poor is separated from his neighbour.
46) Proverbs 19:6Many will intreat the favour of the prince: and every man is a friend to him that giveth gifts.
47) Proverbs 19:7All the brethren of the poor do hate him: how much more do his friends go far from him? he pursueth them with words, yet they are wanting to him.
48) Proverbs 22:11He that loveth pureness of heart, for the grace of his lips the king shall be his friend.
49) Proverbs 22:24Make no friendship with an angry man; and with a furious man thou shalt not go:
50) Proverbs 27:6Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.
51) Proverbs 27:9Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man’s friend by hearty counsel.
52) Proverbs 27:10Thine own friend, and thy father’s friend, forsake not; neither go into thy brother’s house in the day of thy calamity: for better is a neighbour that is near than a brother far off.
53) Proverbs 27:14He that blesseth his friend with a loud voice, rising early in the morning, it shall be counted a curse to him.
54) Proverbs 27:17Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.
55) Song of Solomon 5:1I am come into my garden, my sister, my spouse: I have gathered my myrrh with my spice; I have eaten my honeycomb with my honey; I have drunk my wine with my milk: eat, O friends; drink, yea, drink abundantly, O beloved.
56) Song of Solomon 5:16His mouth is most sweet: yea, he is altogether lovely. This is my beloved, and this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem.
57) Isaiah 41:8But thou, Israel, art my servant, Jacob whom I have chosen, the seed of Abraham my friend.
58) Jeremiah 6:21Therefore thus saith the Lord, Behold, I will lay stumblingblocks before this people, and the fathers and the sons together shall fall upon them; the neighbour and his friend shall perish.
59) Jeremiah 19:9And I will cause them to eat the flesh of their sons and the flesh of their daughters, and they shall eat every one the flesh of his friend in the siege and straitness, wherewith their enemies, and they that seek their lives, shall straiten them.
60) Jeremiah 20:4For thus saith the Lord, Behold, I will make thee a terror to thyself, and to all thy friends: and they shall fall by the sword of their enemies, and thine eyes shall behold it: and I will give all Judah into the hand of the king of Babylon, and he shall carry them captive into Babylon, and shall slay them with the sword.
61) Jeremiah 20:6And thou, Pashur, and all that dwell in thine house shall go into captivity: and thou shalt come to Babylon, and there thou shalt die, and shalt be buried there, thou, and all thy friends, to whom thou hast prophesied lies.
62) Jeremiah 38:22And, behold, all the women that are left in the king of Judah’s house shall be brought forth to the king of Babylon’s princes, and those women shall say, Thy friends have set thee on, and have prevailed against thee: thy feet are sunk in the mire, and they are turned away back.
63) Lamentations 1:2She weepeth sore in the night, and her tears are on her cheeks: among all her lovers she hath none to comfort her: all her friends have dealt treacherously with her, they are become her enemies.
64) Hosea 3:1Then said the Lord unto me, Go yet, love a woman beloved of her friend, yet an adulteress, according to the love of the Lord toward the children of Israel, who look to other gods, and love flagons of wine.
65) Micah 7:5Trust ye not in a friend, put ye not confidence in a guide: keep the doors of thy mouth from her that lieth in thy bosom.
66) Zechariah 13:6And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.
67) Matthew 11:19The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.
68) Matthew 20:13But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny?
69) Matthew 22:12And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.
70) Matthew 26:50And Jesus said unto him, Friend, wherefore art thou come? Then came they, and laid hands on Jesus and took him.
71) Mark 3:21And when his friends heard of it, they went out to lay hold on him: for they said, He is beside himself.
72) Mark 5:19Howbeit Jesus suffered him not, but saith unto him, Go home to thy friends, and tell them how great things the Lord hath done for thee, and hath had compassion on thee.
73) Luke 7:6Then Jesus went with them. And when he was now not far from the house, the centurion sent friends to him, saying unto him, Lord, trouble not thyself: for I am not worthy that thou shouldest enter under my roof:
74) Luke 7:34The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!
75) Luke 11:5And he said unto them, Which of you shall have a friend, and shall go unto him at midnight, and say unto him, Friend, lend me three loaves;
76) Luke 11:6For a friend of mine in his journey is come to me, and I have nothing to set before him?
77) Luke 11:8I say unto you, Though he will not rise and give him, because he is his friend, yet because of his importunity he will rise and give him as many as he needeth.
78) Luke 12:4And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.
79) Luke 14:10But when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, go up higher: then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with thee.
80) Luke 14:12Then said he also to him that bade him, When thou makest a dinner or a supper, call not thy friends, nor thy brethren, neither thy kinsmen, nor thy rich neighbours; lest they also bid thee again, and a recompence be made thee.
81) Luke 15:6And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost.
82) Luke 15:9And when she hath found it, she calleth her friends and her neighbours together, saying, Rejoice with me; for I have found the piece which I had lost.
83) Luke 15:29And he answering said to his father, Lo, these many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I at any time thy commandment: and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends:
84) Luke 16:9And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations.
84) Luke 21:16And ye shall be betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolks, and friends; and some of you shall they cause to be put to death.
86) Luke 23:12And the same day Pilate and Herod were made friends together: for before they were at enmity between themselves.
87) John 3:29He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom’s voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled.
88) John 11:11These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.
89) John 15:13Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
90) John 15:14Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
91) John 15:15Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
92) John 19:12And from thenceforth Pilate sought to release him: but the Jews cried out, saying, If thou let this man go, thou art not Caesar’s friend: whosoever maketh himself a king speaketh against Caesar.
93) Acts 10:24And the morrow after they entered into Caesarea. And Cornelius waited for them, and he had called together his kinsmen and near friends.
94) Acts 12:20And Herod was highly displeased with them of Tyre and Sidon: but they came with one accord to him, and, having made Blastus the king’s chamberlain their friend, desired peace; because their country was nourished by the king’s country.
95) Acts 19:31And certain of the chief of Asia, which were his friends, sent unto him, desiring him that he would not adventure himself into the theatre.
96) Acts 27:3And the next day we touched at Sidon. And Julius courteously entreated Paul, and gave him liberty to go unto his friends to refresh himself.
97) James 2:23And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
98) James 4:4Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.
99) 3 John 1:14But I trust I shall shortly see thee, and we shall speak face to face. Peace be to thee. Our friends salute thee. Greet the friends by name.